you are here:  International  COME IN – Study with us!  Double degree & exchange programs  Visa and residence permit

Visa and residence permit (eAT)

No visa required

Nationals of Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland, Spain and Cyprus do not need visa. 

However, you still need to register as citizens at the registration office.

Service on the Eichstätt campus: Here, you can register as citizens via the International Office, where you will receive the required forms. In addition to the completed forms, the International Office will need two copies of your personal ID card or passport.

The eAT Is requested immediately after arrival In Eichstätt/Ingolstadt

Nationals of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea, the US, Andorra, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Monaco and San Marino have to request the eAT (= visa) after having entered Germany.

For more information, please visit the website of the German Foreign Office

The required documents for requesting the eAT are:

  • Passport (must be valid for the entire period of study in Germany) 
  • Certificate of enrollment from the KU 
  • Proof of financial resources (see below) or scholarship confirmation 
  • Health insurance confirmation (in German or English) 
  • Biometric passport photograph (we highly recommend this be taken in Germany)
  • Rental contract (all pages, and signed by you and your landlord/landlady)
  • Citizen registration confirmation 

A fee of approx. €100 is payable upon requesting the eAT. Scholarship holders (e.g. DAAD) may be exempt from paying this fee.


The eAT has to be requested IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOUR ARRIVAL, as it may take up to 8 weeks for your request to be handled. You will find all information about requesting the eAT in the Welcome Map you will receive shortly after your arrival. The International Office will assist you in requesting the eAT.

Visa to enter Germany is requested in the home country, and the eAT is requested in Germany to extend the visa

Nationals of all other countries need to request their visa before entering Germany. 

Please visit the website of the German Foreign Office to find the most up-to-date information about requesting your visa. There, you can also check whether you need to apply for visa or not

If your visa is not valid for the entire duration of your period of study in Germany, you will have to extend your visa by requesting the eAT. For more information about the eAT, please see above.

Proof of financial resources

All students who are required to have a visa must submit proof of their financial resources of currently € 853.00 per month. There are different ways to prove your resources. 

Students living in Eichstätt: 

Students living in Ingolstadt: 

  • Blocked account with FintibaCoracle, Deutsche Bank or Expatrio with the required sum (€ 853 times the number of months in Germany) 
  • OR declaration of commitment by your parents (can be requested at the German embassy in your home country) 
  • OR scholarship confirmation (€ 853 per month)

If you receive a scholarship, the required amount will be reduced accordingly or the scholarship confirmed can be used as proof, provided that the scholarship is € 853 per month.