Financial issues

Geldscheine und -münzen

Not only does the organisation of a study programme with family responsibilities entail great challenges, but often financial issues also arise when studying with a child. In the following, you will find an overview of state benefits such as parental allowance and child benefit, but also information on scholarships and other support options that will help you to combine studies and family.


State aid for families

Parental allowance

Parental allowance is a financial support for the time after the birth of your child. You will receive parental allowance if you live with your child in a shared household, look after and raise your child yourself, live in Germany and work temporarily not at all or not more than 30 hours per week after the birth of your child. There are three types of parental allowance (basic parental allowance, ElterngeldPlus and partnership bonus), which you can also combine.

The length of time you receive parental allowance depends on the type of parental allowance: you can only receive basic parental allowance in the first twelve months or - if you use partnership months - in the first 14 months of your child's life. After that you can only receive ElterngeldPlus. The amount of the parental benefit depends on the type of parental benefit and the level of income before the birth of the child. The amount of the basic parental allowance is between € 300 and € 1,800 per month, and you can also receive the minimum amount of € 300 even if you have had no income up to now. This also applies to students who did not work in the year before the birth and therefore had no income.

You can find further information on parental allowance on the following pages:

You apply for parental allowance at the Zentrum Bayern Familie und Soziales.

Child benefit

Child benefit is paid to all families regardless of income. For the first and second child it is € 219 per month, for the third child € 225 per month and for the fourth and each subsequent child € 250 per month. It is paid at least until the child reaches the age of 18. Only one person can be a recipient of child benefit at a time. To receive child benefit, you must submit a written application to the relevant family fund.

You can find further information on child benefit here:



Weiterführende Informationen zum Thema "Kindergeld" finden Sie hier:

Family allowance

The State of Bavaria grants parents family allowance of €250 per month for each child in the second and third year of life. From the third child onwards, the family allowance increases to € 300 per month. This benefit is independent of income. You are entitled to this benefit if you have your main residence in Bavaria, live in the same household as your child and raise your child yourself.

Further information on the Bavarian family allowance can be found here.

Subsidy for childcare costs

Children from the age of one have a legal right to a childcare place. In order to prevent the claiming of a childcare place from failing for financial reasons, the State of Bavaria subsidizes all three kindergarten years. No application is required for this, the subsidy is paid directly to the relevant institutions. In addition, the Bavarian nursery allowance has been available since 1 January 2020. This relieves parents of up to €100 per month from their child's first birthday onwards in the form of parental contributions for attendance at an institution that is subsidized under the Bavarian Child Education and Care Act (BayKiBiG). The nursery allowance is only paid to parents whose income does not exceed a certain limit. An application is required for the grant.

You can find further information here.

You can apply for the Bavarian nursery allowance at the Bavarian Center for Families and Social Affairs.

For families with very low income there is also the possibility that the local youth welfare office completely covers the parents' contributions for attending day care facilities.

You can find the appropriate contact person here for Eichstätt and here for Ingolstadt.


If you are entitled to BAföG and live with your child in the same household, the requirement rate increases by € 150 or 140 per month, depending on the period of eligibility, for each child who has not yet reached the age of 14. This childcare supplement is only granted to one parent. In addition, the period of support is extended by pregnancy and child rearing. The extension periods depend on the age of the child. In the case of supplementary income or the repayment of BAföG loans, the allowance per child increases by €570 or €555 per child, depending on the period of eligibility. You can find further information here.


Child supplement

If you earn enough to provide for yourself, but not enough or only just enough for the whole family, you can apply for a supplement to child benefit for your children - the KiZ (Kinderzuschlag). This amounts to a maximum of 185 € per month per child and can be applied for by families in which the monthly gross income is at least 900 € for couples and at least 600 € for single parents, but is not so high that the child supplement is reduced to zero by the crediting of the income.

You can find more information here.

Overview of financial support for families in Bavaria

Families can receive various state support services depending on their income situation. We have compiled the most important points for you here on this page.

You will also find everything you need to know about financial support for families in Bavaria here.


Scholarships of the KU Officer for Women and Equal Opportunities

On the website of the Women's and Equal Opportunities Officer of the KU you will find funding opportunities (e.g. scholarships, printing cost subsidies or workshop offers) on the student and academic level and, in some cases, current announcements.

These are directed to:

  • female students and scientists,
  • students and scientists with families,
  • students and scientists with migration background,
  • Muslim students and scientists,
  • disabled or chronically ill students and scientists and
  • students and scientists from non-academic or low-income families.

Educational institutions for the gifted

The Federal Ministry of Education and Research finances the scholarship programmes for gifted students and supports students with outstanding achievements. Further information on the services offered by the 13 organisations for the promotion of gifted students and doctoral candidates as well as links to the websites of the individual organisations for the promotion of gifted students can be found at

Mawista Scholarships

Mawista Health Insurance supports studies abroad with a child through a scholarship. You can apply if you are planning one or more semesters abroad.

You can find further information here.

Scholarship Pilot

The Scholarship Pilot is a database of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research. Here you can search for scholarships that suit you.



Further financing possibilities

An overview of various other financing possibilities, such as the German scholarship or student loans, can be found on the website of the KU under this link.


Federal Foundation Mother and Child

Pregnant women in financial need can apply for support from the Federal Foundation Mother and Child. Financial assistance is provided, for example, for maternity clothes, initial equipment for the child or furnishing the home.

You can obtain further information here.

Social Service of Catholic Women

The "Madame Courage" programme of the Social Service of Catholic Women (SkF) supports single women students in the final phase of their studies. The maximum financial support is based on the amount of BAföG benefits. You have a chance of receiving support if you are a single parent, do not have sufficient income and are in the final phase of your studies with the prospect of graduation.

You can find more information here.

Hildegardis Association

The Hildegardis Association grants interest-free loans to female students of Christian denominations who have no other sources of finance at their disposal.

Further information can be found here.