The required component comprises 40 ECTS credits. Classes taught in English are available in each module and your internship may be in an English-speaking context as well of course:
1. Theories, Structures and Order in International Politics (10 ECTS credits)
2. Practice, Strategies and (Policy) Fields of International Politics (10 ECTS credits) (
3. One module from the Master’s courses of Studium.Pro at the KU (5 ECTS credits)
4. Internship (15 ECTS credits) (min. 8 weeks)
The required elective component requires 50 ECTS credits. You can choose from 12 modules of 10 ECTS credits each. Please check whether classes in English are available:
1. Model United Nations (in English)
3. Comparative Political Science
4. History of Political Thought
5. Contemporary Political Theory and Philosophy
6. Peace and Conflict Studies (English classes available)
7. Recent History and Contemporary History (multiple selection possible) (partly available in English)
8. International Law (in English)
9. Advanced Sociological Theories (in English)
10. Advanced Process-Oriented Sociology
11. Advanced Methods of Qualitative Analysis
12. Advanced Methods of Data Collection
In the elective component, you can choose 10 ECTS credits from the entire range of courses offered in the Master’s programs of the KU that are not subject to admission restrictions, or modules from other German or international universities.
With the Master's thesis, you usually complete your Master's degree in International Relations. It is worth 20 ECTS credits within the framework of your Master's program. In the Master's thesis, you are supposed to prove that you have the ability to work independently according to scientific methods and to gain substantial results on a research topic.
Our "Master Thesis Schedule" will provide further information.
Click here for the program description of the MIB (examination regulations from 2021/22) in English.
The document to register and confirm your mandatory internship will be available soon.
All information on your Master’s thesis can be found here.
The document to register your Master’s thesis can be found in the following forms from the Examinations Office.
Click here for important deadlines, information and forms from the Examination Office.
An den Vorsitzenden des PA MIB
Prof. Dr. Klaus Brummer
These cookies help us to see how visitors use our sites. This information is collected anonymously.
These necessary cookies provide basic functions of our website. Without these cookies you cannot use e.g. shop functions or logins. The website will therefore not function properly without these cookies.