Information for refugee students and students at risk

For refugee students and students at risk, there are two options for studying at the KU :

  • as a 'free mover', if you wish to study at the KU for only one or two semesters and then return to your home university if possible
  • as a 'degree seeking student', if you would like to continue and finsh your studies at the KU or complete a full study program at the KU. Regarding the university entrance qualification, the "anabin" information on the Ukrainian education system is very helpful.

Please find the relevant information below.

Recognition of prior academic learning

The recognition process for academic achievements gained abroad often takes very long. Usually, students enroll in the first semester and then have their academic credits checked for recognition at the KU. Depending on the decision, the students will then be placed in a higher semester. More information on the topic of academic recognition is available here.

Erasmus+ funding for students from Ukraine

Students from Ukraine who are still enrolled at a Ukrainian university or have completed their studies there in the last 12 months and enroll at the KU either as an exchange student/free mover or degree seeking student

Funding period

  • Starting with the winter semester 2022/2023
  • Initially for 6 months, extension up to a maximum of 12 months possible

Amount of funding

  • 1,100 EUR per month
  • Free access to the Online Language Support (OLS) to complete a free online German course during the entire funding period
  • Severely handicapped students or students with children can apply for additional real costs if required.

Application deadline

October 7, 2022

Later applications are possible in individual cases subject to the availability of funds, but are not recommended. In any case, the funding application must be submitted and approved before the official start of classes at the KU.  

Documents to be submitted

  • Copy of a valid passport
  • CV in tabular form
  • Ukrainian proof of student or graduate status (e.g. enrollment certificate, certificate from the home university or a Ukrainian authority)
  • Current transcript of records
  • Letter of motivation, especially explaining why you would like to study at the KU (in English or German, maximum 1 page)
  • For exchange students/free movers: provisional course list or, if already available, enrollment certificate
  • For degree seeking students: letter of admission or, if already available, enrollment certificate

Application process

Please send your complete application documents as one pdf document by e-mail to the head of the International Office, Dr. Anna Marcos: international(at)

Selection criteria

  • Subject-related fit to the KU
  • Academic performance (according to grades)


Funding is subject to availability of funds only.



If you have any questions regarding the funding you can contact the head of the International Office, Dr. Anna Marcos: international(at)

Scholarship programs and funding opportunities for students

Below you will find information about scholarship programs as well as funding opportunities on behalf of the KU and other organizations.

Scholarships for international students at KU

The International Office of the KU awards scholarships for international students. More information is available here.

External scholarship programs

Hilde Domin Program (DAAD)

Scholarship program of the DAAD

With this scholarship program, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) uses funds from the Federal Foreign Office (AA) to support students and doctoral candidates at risk worldwide who have no formal or de facto right to education in their country of origin. They are to be supported in taking up or continuing their studies in Germany in order to obtain a degree or doctorate from a German university. More information is available at the DAAD's website.

Konrad Adenauer Foundation

The Konrad Adenauer Foundation (KAS) supports students for bachelor, master and doctoral studies. Refugees whose asylum application has not yet been decided cannot apply. More information is availabel on the KAS website.

Friedrich Ebert Foundation

The Friedrich Ebert Foundation (FES) welcomes applications from refugees - both for Bachelor and Master Studies and for a PhD.

Heinrich Böll Foundation

The Heinrich Böll Foundation invites refugees to apply for scholarships. More information is available on the website of the Heinrich Böll Foundation.